January 2007

Home Up

Our friends, Laura and Shelly Singer arrived at John Prince on Saturday December 30th - Finally!!  Late afternoon, Selma and Bobby Keil, George and Myrna Wolkoff, and Norm's Mom all joined us for some nosh and drinks at the coach.  We went out for dinner at a favorite restaurant, Lynora's, but we were very disappointed with the food.  On New Year's Eve, we had a wonderful barbequed steak dinner with Laura and Shelley, and played cards (we learned how to play hearts) until just before midnight.  After the ball fell, we went for a walk around the park.  The weather was beautiful, we were all in shorts and t-shirts!  We heard fireworks all around and we were in bed by 12:45.  On Tuesday morning, we had everything ready for our departure, and left John Prince at about 9:30.  We drove to Live Oak in northern Florida where we spent the evening at the local WalMart after picking up our mail at our mail forwarding service.  We met Jim and Judy Ploesser, our RVing friends from Kentucky at the WalMart.  On Wednesday morning, after taking care of some electrical problems, we caravanned to Mobile, Alabama where we again spent the night in a WalMart (actually Sam's Club).  On Thursday, 1/4 we left Mobile at about 8:30.  We had a nice relaxing trip westbound on I-10, until we passed a serious accident on a road that crossed under the interstate.  There were wrecked cars and trucks everywhere, as well as all sorts of emergency vehicles.  Then, about 40 miles west of New Orleans, we ran into serious storms and limited visibility.  With continued heavy weather, we passed another accident after exiting the interstate on our way to Abbeville.  It turned out that the relaxing trip turned into a stress filled one, as we passed these three accidents and the ugly weather.  We finally pulled into Betty's RV Park in Abbeville, LA.  After disconnecting our tow vehicle, we parked the rig, and hooked up our utilities.  Our space was pretty tight, and Shelley directed Norm in.  When she was helping in the front, the people in a motorhome there put out there awning so that Shelley could stand under it and stay dry.  However, as Norm pulled forward, they raised their awning to give us more room to maneuver.  Unfortunately, tons of rain water had accumulated there, and Shelley was thoroughly doused by the Niagara Falls that ensued.  Both of us had clothes that were wet enough to be wrung out.  At 4 o'clock, many of the RV'ers in the park brought some drink and nosh and gathered to schmooz and exchange gossip and things to do. [Betty's RV Park - Abbeville, LA - 29.57 N / 92.09 W].

Our trip to Abbeville was scheduled so that we could meet some folks there.  Just to set the scene....Hurricane Rita hit this area of the gulf coast in late September of 2005.  Our RV friends, Richard and Pat Belanger, changed their plans and drove down to Abbeville in their RV, where they spent the winter of 05-06.  They worked very hard, helping the local residents recover from the effects of the storm.  When Richard and Pat finally left the area, they felt as if they were abandoning their friends, so they arranged for friends from up north to become e-mail pen pals with families from Abbeville.  Norm immediately contacted Joey Hebert, and has been exchanging e-mails ever since.  Our trip to Abbeville was scheduled to finally meet Joey Hebert and his wife Connie.  Coincidentally, Richard and Pat were also in the area.  So Friday morning, Richard and Pat picked us up at our campground and we went to visit the Heberts.  Their home is about 22 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and the altitude is about 10-15 feet.  When the hurricane hit, the storm surge at the shore was about 30 feet, and the salt water covered just about everything in its path.  Joey and Connie's home was covered with about 5 feet of water, and when the water receded there was mud and muck and seaweed covering everything.  There were 20 poisonous snakes and 3 cows in their house when Joey and his son returned the next day.  They ripped out all of the interior plasterboard walls so that things could dry out and set to work cleaning things up.  One of their friends loaned them an RV 5th wheel, and they lived in that for about 9 months until their house was habitable.  After the hurricane, they both worked their regular jobs and then came home to work on fixing up their house.  They both just retired from their respective jobs in the education field.  We all spent about 4 or 5 hours with Joey and Connie, and enjoyed their company so much that we are considering stopping back here on our way back east in a few months.  On Saturday, Jim and Judy rejoined us at Betty's after a side trip to visit Jim's son in Slidell, a suburb of New Orleans.  We went to a local "Cracklin Cook Off" at Touchet's bar.  Cracklin is made by deep frying fat from a certain cut of a pig.  There were about 10 teams of folks cooking at the festival.  The bar owners furnished the uncooked crackling to each of the teams, and the teams bought whatever else they cooked.  Almost all of the cooking took place in huge pots filled with oil, stirred with garden shovels and gigantic strainer spoons.  In addition to cracklin, we had alligator bits, chunks of alligator meat, pork bits, fried bread, chili, smothered potatoes, fried fruit and crayfish fritters.  And, believe it or not, everything, except for drinks, was free.  We were the only ones there who were not locals.  Everyone was really friendly and they were almost insulted if we didn't try their creations.  With Cajun music blaring in the background, this was a really neat afternoon doing something unique.  After leaving Touchet's, we drove around the area and walked around Abbeville.  We were all so stuffed from the our lunch at the festival that we were all satisfied with a light salad for dinner.    

Cracklin' Festival

Cracklin festival

Pork Cracklins

Gigantic cooking pot

Abbey house in Historic downtown Abbeville

On Sunday we drove about 425 miles to San Antonio.  We stayed overnight in a local Walmart and on Monday morning we checked into the Admiralty RV Park, about 15 miles from downtown San Antonio.  After getting settled, the 4 of us took public transportation downtown to the Riverwalk where we met fellow CHAI members, Ron and Gayle Bard for a wonderful Mexican lunch.  We walked along the river a bit to work off the lunch and then we took a boat ride along the river.  We also went to the local Mexican market where we all had enough will power to pass up the touristy items on sale there.  On Tuesday we saw the IMAX movie on the Battle at the Alamo in 1836.  Then we saw the real Alamo (as before, it is amazing how small the Alamo is) and went to see the Mission at San Jose (founded in 1720) and also the San Fernando Cathedral, the oldest parish in Texas.  [Admiralty RV Park - San Antonio, Texas - 29.27 N / 98.42 W]. 

Gayle & Ron Bard at the Riverwalk

Riverwalk scene

Judy & Jim Ploesser at the Buckhorn

"The Bull" outside the Buckhorn restaurant

Mission San Jose

On Wednesday morning we again headed west.  Within a short time after leaving San Antonio, we found ourselves in the beautiful hill country of Texas.  We made a quick stop to pick up our mail at the Boerne post office and then drove to Fort Stockton, about the only place inhabited between San Antonio and El Paso!  We slept at the local Walmart where there were about 15 other RVs, most of them also on the way to Quartzsite.  We decided to go out for dinner, so Jim asked some people in Walmart for a recommendation and when two suggested the same place, off we went.  [Fort Stockton - Walmart - 30.54 N / 102.54 W].  Thursday morning was a continuation of Wednesday's drive.  But we continued going higher as we got to an altitude of about 4600 feet.  The ride was interesting as we drove through reasonably flat land with long gradual slopes both going up and down.  We arrived in El Paso and pulled into our spot for the evening, again at a Walmart, but this was right off the Interstate, and the drone of traffic was continuous.  We took our car, drove a bit south and parked near the Mexican border.  We then walked across a bridge over the Rio Grande (you won't believe how small the river is) to Juarez.  The town and its people are very poor, with beggars everywhere as well as people selling trinkets, cigarettes and whatever else they think that tourists will buy.  However, despite the poverty, you could feel the life and vitality of the town. 

Juarez street scene

Juarez, Mexico - an optical shop

On Friday we drove through New Mexico to Tucson, AZ.  Our CHAI friends, Stan and Lee Friedman, who spend the winter nearby, recommended that we spend the night parked at the Desert Diamond Casino.  They gave us detailed directions from the Interstate right to the parking lot entrance.  We dutifully put our destination into the GPS and found that the directions were somewhat different than what Stan had given us.  Checking the map, we were satisfied that the GPS was taking us a somewhat shorter way.  So we followed the GPS and confidently pulled into the parking lot of the Desert Diamond Casino.  We called the Friedmans and agreed on a time to meet for dinner.  Then we contacted Gayle and Ron Bard and told them where we were meeting Stan and Lee.  The Bards told us that they were already at the Diamond Desert Casino's parking lot.  Jim and Norm looked around and didn't see the Bard's motorhome.  A drive around the parking lot didn't produce a meeting.  After some investigation, we found out that there are actually 2 Diamond Desert Casinos, about 7 miles apart!!  The Bards, to whom we had given directions, made it to the right casino and we, with our fancy GPS, ended up at the wrong place!!  We all laughed so much.  Finally, the eight of us got together for dinner in the casino.  It was really fun, and meetings such as this are what CHAI is all about.  [South Tucson - Diamond Desert Casino - 32.07 N / 110.58 W].

On Saturday morning, January 13, we left Tucson and again headed west.  On the way, Shelley finally got to see some of the giant Saguaro cacti that she had been looking for.  We drove through Phoenix to Tonopah, AZ.  On the way, we drove over a tumbleweed that was rolling down the road.  We spent the afternoon taking care of stuff.  Norm went through the mail and took care of paying bills while Shelley was busy doing a few washes and taking care of housekeeping.  It was really cold here, with the temperatures Saturday night going into the mid-20s accompanied by high winds. Norm disconnected and drained our freshwater hose to make sure that it didn't freeze and split.  [Tonopoh, AZ - Saddle Mountain RV Park - 33.29 N / 112.56 W]

Saguro Cactus along side I-10

Another view of the Saguaros

On Sunday morning we left Tonopah at 7 AM while it was still dark out.  We continued our drive west on I-10, continuing through a desert that was intermittently broken by sharp ridges, mesas, and mountains.  While desolate, it was very dramatic.  We passed through Quartzsite, our destination for next week, where about 50,000 RV rigs meet up and spend some time camping in the desert. After a relatively short time we left Arizona and entered California and the Pacific Coast Time, as we headed north.  Initially, it was as if we were in a different world, with cultivated, irrigated fields and other signs of civilization.  Soon we were back in the desert on a 2 lane road, one in each direction.  We passed through the town of Needles, often one of the hottest spots in the country (but not today) and continued north.  After some more desert, there were a series of rolling hills, and when we crested the last one, there in front of us was Las Vegas, with the Strip clearly visible.  It was unbelievable to see this place after so many miles of driving through desert.  We wondered why a big, glamorous city like Las Vegas be in the middle of such desolation?  We finally arrived at our campground, the North Las Vegas Elks Club, which has a small campground of 10 spots with electric and water hook-ups and one sewer dump for all of us to share.  The weather here is unbelievable.  They are setting all sorts of records for low temps.  At night, the low temperature was in the mid-20s, and we needed to take precautions to make sure that our water hoses didn't freeze.  On Monday morning we took our car and drove to Hoover Dam, less then half a mile from Las Vegas.  They have a whole area set up for tourists, and we did the tourist bit.  First, we had to pass through security...they are worried about someone trying to blow up the dam.  The dam was built between 1931 and 1935.  The dam was named the number 5 construction achievement of the 20th century.  The dam supplies water for irrigation of a million acres, domestic water needs for 18 million people, and enough power for about 2 million people.  Lake Mead is the largest man-made lake in the US. We also did what everyone else does who come to Vegas.  We visited the casinos.  Bellagio, Paris, New York New York, MGM Grand, Luxor, and Excalibur are among those we saw.  While here, we also had a visit with Marty and Gladyce Ehrlich, members of CHAI who have lived in Las Vegas for a number of years.  The unanimous opinion of the 4 of us is that we're glad that we came to Vegas and everything is pretty spectacular, but we've had enough.   [Las Vegas - North Las Vegas Elks Club - 36.13 N /115.06 W].

King Tut at the Luxor Casino/Hotel

MGM Casino/Hotel

Lion outside a hotel but I can't remember it's name!

Lion clubs inside MGM Casino/Hotel

Exterior of NY NY Casino/Hotel

The Las Vegas Strip

The Hoover Dam

Jimm & Judy by the Hoover Dam

Norm and Shelley by the Hoover Dam

Shelley & Judy by the Hoover Dam

Generator Room 45 stories below the top of Hoover Dam

Lake Mead

We left Las Vegas bright and early - but not too early - on Wednesday, January 17 heading for Quartzsite, AZ.  Before leaving, we made sure that our fresh water and fuel tanks were full and that our grey and black water holding tanks were empty.  After again stopping for security at the dam, we drove our motorhome across Hoover Dam and entered the harshest looking area that we've seen so far.  There was virtually no plant life, no animal life visible, and the area looked like giant ski moguls, with hills maybe 75 feet high every 75 feet or so.  These hills ran in all different directions.  It was hard to believe that anyone could cross this area prior to the construction of the highway.  After passing Lake Havasau City, where the London Bridge was reconstructed, we finally arrived at Quartzsite.  We checked in at the government office and called Bernie Dobrin to come and get us.  We were to camp in the middle of the desert and needed to be shown where to go.  After a short drive, we arrived at a clearing in the desert where about 10 RVs were parked, with another 20 or 25 expected.  There was a big yellow balloon, flying from the top of somebody's RV, to mark our camping area.  The desert here is rocky rather than sandy, and there are cacti and small bushes around.  When vehicles drive by, they are followed by a tremendous amount of dust.  At 4 PM, everyone in the group gathers around a fire for wine and nibbles and to share the adventures and experiences of the day.  It helped us to get to know the other RVers who were there.  On Thursday we drove into town and spent part of the day wandering through ONE of the large flea market areas where venders where selling just about everything you could think of, want or need. Friday was a really ugly day, rainy and really chilly.  We had a really quiet day and caught up with lots of business.  At 4 PM, the Dobrins, Bards, and Ploessers joined us for wine and nibbles.  We just sat around and exchanged thoughts about the problems of the world.  There was so much food to nosh that we cancelled supper.  On Saturday, Bernie Dobrin took the Ploessers and us for an off road trip out into the desert over abandoned back roads.  We stopped to look at an old abandoned cabin and passed lots of evidence of mining.  We even came across an old abandoned mine.  We walked into the mine, which was about 6 1/2 feet high, for a distance of about 70 yards or so.  Because of her claustrophobia and fear of bats, Shelley decided not to explore the mine.  On the ride, we saw lots of cacti and other spiny plants, and 4 of us saw a small deer with long ears (turns out to be a mule deer) as it disappeared over a ridge.  We all really enjoyed the trip which took about 2 1/2 hours.  Returning back to town, the four of us decided to stop off at the RV show in downtown Quartzsite.  However, traffic was so bad that it reminded Norm of a New York City rush hour.  It must have taken us 25 minutes to drive just a 3/4 mile stretch....so we just want back to the campsite.  During the late afternoon and early evening, we attended a prime rib dinner at a rally for Newmar coaches attended by about 275 RVs.  Jim and Judy are Regional Directors of an area that encompasses most of the mid-section of the US.  So....we all got invited for the dinner which was made more delicious by the fact that it was gratis. As the sun went down, the desert got quite cold, so we left Jim and Judy at the rally and returned to our coach. On Sunday morning, fellow CHAI-ites, Jay and Donna Blumenthal,the Bards and the Ploessers came to our coach for coffee and cake (Shelley baked a delicious cake in our convection oven) and some mid-morning shmoozing.  Soon after they left, the Bards packed up and left the desert. Sunday morning found the 4 of us in downtown Quartzsite at the RV show.  We wandered around for an hour or two and then heard an announcement over the loudspeaker that the big tent had to be evacuated.  The winds were so strong that the pegs holding then tent in place were pulling out of the ground.  Whew...we made it.  On Monday, we returned to downtown and did the RV show.  Same stuff as usual, so we packed up and left right after lunch. [Quartzsite, AZ - the RVforum.net campground in the desert - 33.38 N / 114.14 W]  

RV forum balloon

CHAI at Quartzsite

Jim contemplating old mining structure

Old miner's cabin

Shelley in front of cave

Our RV after the rain with beautiful rainbow

Saguaro cacti outside our coach

Shelley & Judy in front of Saguaro

Sunset view from campground

Daytime view from our coach

On Monday afternoon we drove south (and a little bit west) to Winterhaven,CA, a suburb of Yuma, AZ. Tuesday was cleanup day, as Shelley kept the washing machine busy and Norm washed the car and took care of some odds and ends outside the coach.  At mid-day, Jim and Norm went to Yuma's historic district, where there was a street fair.  The typical touristy stuff was there as well as some fresh veggies and an Old Mexican couple making Tacos and Burritos.  We had to try authentic Mexican food and it was very good.  It definitely tasted different than the typical North Eastern restaurant Mexican fare.  After we finished eating, we went to visit the Yuma Penitentiary which was active from the 1870s to about 1906.  It was somewhat disappointing, as most of the buildings had been destroyed due to new building in the area.  However, the exhibits and films were both very good, and many of the actual cells were still there.  We were told that during the middle of the 20th century, Yuma underwent a major boom.  The school population outgrew the high school, and some of the high school classes were held in the old jail.  To this day, the nickname of the high school is the "Convicts".  Can you just imagine the cheerleaders cheering for the "Convicts", or their school sweaters and jackets bearing the name "Convicts"??  (Do they still have school sweaters and jackets???") Monday evening brought with it another of our CHAI friends, Paul and Carol Goldberg.  We all went to Algondonas Mexico the next day.  We drove through immigration, parked the car and set out.  The 3 guys all had haircuts ($5 each and pretty good!) and we stopped at an optician's office and ordered 6 pair of glasses among us. We wandered through the town, which was a really nice border town.  If you stayed within a 3 or 4 block area of the border crossing, you got the typical touristy stuff to buy, but with a Mexican twist.  In addition to glasses and haircuts, you could save lots of bucks on dental work and prescription drugs. In fact, someone told us that there were 450 dentists in town. We found a nice place for lunch on a balcony overlooking the town square, and then returned to pick up the glasses.  We did some more wandering and then got into the car to cross the border.  The line was slow, and it took us about an hour.  Not too bad when compared to those walking across; the line there was almost 3 hours.  After a midafternoon break, the 6 of us went out for dinner together. [Winterhaven, CA - Pilot Knob RV Park - 32.45 N / 114.46 W]

Yuma Penitentiary

Prison transport

Jim by the prison cells

Iron bunks

Norm getting a haircut in Algodonas

Being silly at the Algodonas optician's office

Beautiful Mexican courtyard

Street Dancer

A Mexican family earning money by entertaining

Typical street scene in Algondonas

US - Mexico border wall

Thursday was a driving day, and we ended up in the town of Ajo, AZ where we parked in a local Elk's Lodge.  We also checked out a huge open pit copper mine that was shut down a number of years ago. [Ajo, AZ - Elk's Club - 32.23 N / 112.52 W]

Town Square

Another view of the Town Square

Beautiful barrel cactus in Ajo

Lovely church in Ajo

Another church in Ajo

Parking in the Elks lodge lot

On Friday we drove a short distance to the town of Why, AZ and left the rigs at a big truck stop.  We then drove about 30 miles to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.  These cacti grow from a central spot, and send up multiple arms...maybe 10 or 15 in all, that end up growing parallel to each other pointed straight up, thus looking like a organ pipes.  Summer heat in this area can reach 118 degrees and the ground temperature gets to 175 degrees.  We drove a 21 mile loop over rough roads in the park.  The area is part of the Sonoran Desert and saguaro cactus, creosote bush, organ pipe cactus, mesquite, ocotillo, cholla and prickly pear cacti were everywhere.  We were able to view a natural bridge where the arch is 36 feet high and 90 feet wide.  Most of the rock here are from lava that flowed 15 to 25 million years ago.  We had lunch at a small cafe about 100 yards from the Mexican border.  We left Why mid-afternoon and drove through back roads back to the Desert Diamond Casino in south Tucson.  Most of the trip was through an Indian reservation, and it was amazing how poor everyone was.  We did not see one house anywhere that would meet our middle class standards.  We again decided to stop and "camp" at the Desert Diamond Casino in South Tucson.  Saturday morning found Jim and Norm driving to a post office a short distance away to pick up mail while Judy and Shelley went to Walmart.  On the way back, the guys stopped and took a tour of a Titan 2 missile silo, the only such silo that was not destroyed as part of an agreement between the US and the Soviet Union,  There is a Titan missile in the silo, and much of the equipment is still there.  It made us all realize just how much things have changed since the cold war and mutual armed deterrence, sometime called MAD.  On Sunday morning, 1/28, we drove to Biosphere 2, about 30 miles north of Tucson.  The scenery on the drive was really spectacular.  Biosphere 2 is a 3 acre sealed-in building with different, but interconnected areas of biomes, rainforest, desert, savanna, marsh and ocean met to replicate the earth. During the 1990s through 2003, experiments were conducted to determine the impacts on various living things of making changes in such things as temperature and rainfall in one or more of the biomes (self sustaining communities of living organisms).  The building contains 3000 different species of living things and a million gallon salt water ocean.  This project is owned by a single individual and is currently for sale.  Our tour guide also mentioned that Mount Lemon was nearby.  This is the southernmost commercial ski slope in the United States. We met our CHAI friends, Stan and Lee Freedman, got a quick tour of the artsy town of Toubac, and had a delightful dinner in a small cantina there.  [South Tucson, AZ - Desert Diamond Casino - 32.00 N / 110.59 W].

Organ Pipe Cactus

Prickly Pear Cactus

Judy & Jim at Organ Pipe

Arch at Organ Pipe - notice the moon

Sign about Biosphere 2

Biosphere 2 buildings

Another view of the building

Rainforest inside Biosphere 2


Lush foliage

Monday, 1/29 found us heading south to Nogales, AZ.  We parked in a Walmart lot and then drove a car to the Mexican border.  We walked across the border and wandered around Nogales, Mexico.  Though it had a somewhat different flavor then Algodones and Juarez, there was also a sameness in the number of dentists and drug stores and the items for sale in the many shops.  Shelley bought a set of salt and pepper shakers.  I think that the four of us have had enough of Mexican border towns for a while. [Nogales - Walmart - 31.22 N / 110.56 W].

After a brief shopping foray to Walmart, we left Nogales on Tuesday and headed east to Bisbee, AZ.  The trip east was really interesting.  For one thing, in 2 days we went from the desert in South Tucson to a relatively lush area that clearly had much more precipitation.  Secondly, we found ourselves passing through an altitude of as high as 5,800 feet.  Our campground was in a large valley surrounded by mountains.  One unique feature is that there was a skeet shooting range right in front of our parking space.  Tuesday was clean-up day.  Shelley kept the washer/dryer busy and Norm washed the motorhome and the car, both of which were really dirty from our time on the desert.  Pilot Knob RV Park did not allow vehicle washing and the Walmart and casino did not have the facilities for this. On Wednesday morning we took off to tour Tombstone.  It was founded in 1879 as a silver mining boom town, and was the site of the famous Gunfight at the OK Corral.  The downtown area has virtually no residents and almost all of the building there are ntied in with the tourist trade.  In fact, the main street is a pedestrian mall. But the magic of the Tombstone and OK Coral names draws people there.  We saw a reenactment of the gunfight between Wyatt Earp, his brothers Virgil and Morgan and Doc Holliday lined up against the McLaureys and Clantons.  We also stopped at the offices of the Tombstone Epitaph (Read your Epitaph before breakfast) and got a free copy of the issue that reported on the gunfight.  The town is somewhat hokey, but it was still fun.  The major drawback was the cold windy weather.  In fact, on the way back to the campground, we drove through Bisbee, and there was sleet and snow flurries coming down.  UGH!!  We returned to Bisbee on Thursday.  During the morning, Shelley and Judy shopped the town (only kidding...they didn't buy a single thing) while Norm and Jim took an underground tour of the Copper Queen mine, which was closed in 1944.  Out tour guide was an 86 year old person who actually worked in the mine.  We went 1700 feet into the mine on a train and learned lots about the old mine.  Although the mine was primarily a copper mine, enough gold and silver was removed as a byproduct of the mining operation to pay for the cost of the mine.  During the afternoon, the 4 of us took a van tour of Bisbee that was narrated by a 76 year old Bisbee native.  The tour had one big problem, the guide couldn't answer any questions since he was hard of hearing.  On Friday we took a ride to Douglas, AZ.  The town was not at all touristy, and that was a welcome change.  We found an old Jewish cemetery that had lot of toppled headstones and also visited the Slaughter Ranch, a huge operation during the 1890s and 1900s.  The ranch is at the end of a 15 mile dirt road that parallels the Mexican border, about 1/4-1/2 mile to the south.  One of the highlights of our visit was a chance meeting with the granddaughter of a person who bought the ranch from Frank Slaughter in the 1930s. She was taking her daughter and granddaughter on a tour of where she grew up.  The Double Adobe campground was sort of unique.  It was literally in the middle of nowhere, but it had several attractions.  One is that is in the middle of nowhere.  The second was that it had a skeet shooting range, and many of the campers wee into that sport.  The third, and probably most important, was the personality of the woman who ran the place.  She was always smiling and chatty, and she made you feel like a good friend.  She served (and cooked) breakfast several mornings during the week.  Despite the fact that we ha to wait about an hour for our meal, it was impossible to be angry because she was so pleasant.  [McNeal AZ - Double Adobes RV - 31.28 N / 109.45 W] 

Main St, Tombstone

Another view of Main St

Our bank in downtown Tombstone!

Sheriff hanging out on Main St


Act I at the OK Corral

The Earp Gang

Entrance to mine

Interior of Copper Mine

Mine Pit

Toilet underground in mine

Norm the Miner

Jim the miner

Funky car we saw on Bisbee tour

Tombstone at cemetery

Bisbee-Douglass Jewish cemetery sign

Cemetery plots

more plots

Entrance to Slaughter Ranch

Slaughter Ranch House

Vista from porch of ranch house